Saturday, September 24, 2011

Twisting Half Moon

Any of you who practice yoga will know how I feel. Twisting Half Moon. What? Everytime I get my legs and arms and torso into this position and hear it announced, I laugh. Really? Am I actually trying to get into a twisted shape that resembles a half moon? What does that mean, anyway? And I'm supposed to be "clearing my mind" and "thinking about nothing." I can only count the remaining seconds and wonder what a twisting whole moon would look like.

It's how I felt all day today when I answered questions from my 10 year old about puberty. Those kind of questions. The ones that involve words I'm too embarrassed to type. Questions about diseases and activities and changes in a boy's body and dreams and contraception. Oh, and sins. He wanted to know what was sinful and what was not. "I thought you weren't supposed to do some of these things Mom because it would mean not sharing your most precious gift with the person you love?" (I guess he was listening in our previous educational talks.) This all happened, too, in the Target facewash aisle. Holy moly. I finally realized what twisting half moon was supposed to feel like! There I was, looking at exfoliants and toners and trying not to act stunned so he'd keep asking questions and I could keep helping him, all the while feeling like a twisted half orbiting body! Can't wait to do yoga, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment