Friday, September 9, 2011

Do it Big, or Stay in Bed

So, I'm struggling with lukewarm. I'm struggling with the American trend of accepting it all and refusing the specifics. I don't like being lukewarm, and though I'm sure I am at times, I pray those times are few. My brother-in-law will tell you the O'Banions heat up their food and coffee 15 times before they finish it, at least three times before they sit down with it. I had never noticed that before James pointed it out! But, I want it hot, not kind of hot. And if the a/c is blasting, I want it cold. Like the bottom section of the blue diagram that indicates "freezing." That setting. 


We are surrounded, literally, by a culture of mediocrity and relativity. I feel as if I'm battling against it all to protect my children. I value diversity. I like and honor different traditions from my own. But, good grief, BE that tradition. Commit to it and love it and wrestle with it. Everyone I talk to seems to want to be all faiths and all nationalities and all cultures at once. How is that possible? How are we not all suffering from a fundamental identity crisis? It's not trendy to be commited to anything. To be "labeled" by beliefs or practices or prayers or right and wrong. What happened to loyalty and dedication and work ethic? I don't like the loss of these values, either. I just watched a beautiful tribute to a man named Welles Crowther. This is commitment. He is a hero, one who died saving others.


http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6929979


We have crucifixes in our home, and I am proud of them. I am proud to worship Jesus Christ and believe in His sacrifice and promises. We are surrounded by a culture of fear, a culture of walking on eggshells. So, as we are taught, those who are lukewarm will have some trouble. . . . 


Rev 3:16


Somewhere, I read that funny quote, "Do it big or stay in bed." I've always liked it--if you're going to bother doing it, do it like you mean it. Or, better yet, just mean it. I am trying to remind myself and teach my children that we must mean it. We must cling to the cross and seek Mary's help and reach out for the saints' intercession when we waiver. 


"The wonderful thing about saints is that they were human. They lost their tempers, got hungry, scolded God, were egotistical or impatient in their turns, made mistakes and regretted them. Still they went on doggedly blundering toward heaven." -- Phyllis McGinley


And, a personal favorite. . . :) "If you start to take Vienna, take Vienna." -- Napoleon Bonaparte


Dear Lord, please, please, help me stumble persistently towards heaven. I'll try to bring Vienna with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment