Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One is Silver and the other Gold

During my long stint in Brownies, we learned a song I've always remembered: "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."

I have golden, golden friends in my "the Shellies." I met them while living in Arizona on a fifth grade field trip to the Grand Canyon. They are neighbors with each other and good friends, and they accepted me and loved my family and made Arizona an experience full of love and great, true blessings. 


They are the kind of friends you want to be to others. They are honest, funny, gentle, strong and good. They consider motherhood their most important job. . . and their hardest. They support their husbands, organize block parties and have the gift of living in the present.



Shelly J has big hair. Like fluffy big. She would wear fake eyelashes if she knew how to put them on. She makes the best guacamole this side of the Pacific and she used to think toilets operated only if the electricity was on. Yep. She thinks she's a wild child who thrives on adventure and spontaneous day trips. She is the most dependable, loyal, dedicated person I know. People leave Shelly J with a bigger, fuller heart. She's all about the love.












Shelly B rides a motorcycle. She thinks etsy.com, up-cycled cardboard, and camping without deodorant are kind of cool. She's so real, she still wears a 1980s cross-stitched applique sweatshirt with her name on it. She makes her bed before her housekeeper comes, will read any book with words in it and treats everyday like she can move mountains. She is the most independent, confident, generous person I know. She loves my kids a lot and my dog more than I do.




They came to visit for a few days. Or at least that's what I thought they were doing. They came to fill my love tank. They did my laundry, played board games with Jacob, cooked several dinners and froze others, let me nap (ahhhhh!!!), listened to my stories, read to Ellie, rocked my babies, made me laugh, cry and think. They, in giving of their time, gave their very selves to me. And I love them and their spirits more than I can articulate. They are golden friends I will always hold closely.

I dig them. Totally.



No comments:

Post a Comment