Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sing. . .Sing a Song!

 "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song." L. Holtz

I was reminded this morning of that quote when I went for a little autumnal jog. Sounds odd, an "autumnal jog," but I am so enjoying this seasonal weather, the morning run felt like that Dogwood Trail again, brisk, crisp and happy. And I could hear the geese making their way out of here because, supposedly, it's getting bitterly cold at some point. And they were so loud. Sounded so excited! And I laughed--gosh, do they know something I don't?! They're singing, not because they have to, but because they want to. Oh, to be a bird!

And my children. These past few weeks have been such fun. From collecting pumpkins to picking apples to finding JUICY caterpillars and making first tackles in 8th grade football. It's been happy.

 Does your face light up when you see your kids? I heard Maya Angelou ask that question once. Does your face register how you feel inside? Do they know, from your expression, that they are worthwhile and loved? It's such a simple thing, such a quick, fleeting little "hello." But doesn't it make all the difference? I think we can each remember how our mothers made us feel. I can remember how my mom made me feel special, really special, just by how she'd look at me when I walked in from a late night dance class. She really looked happy to see me, and I can remember feeling surprised! Gosh, I didn't know I mattered that much to her that my "hey, Mom" would make her happy! Though the moment was so short and the feeling brief, I knew she loved me and I knew I was worth it. Do I show my kids they're worth it? Do they know I love them just as they are, even when they don't brush their teeth for days (Jacob) or hole up in their room and only come down for feeding times (Nick) or break a figurine because it doesn't survive a quarterback-like pitch down the kitchen (Ellie)? I hope so. Because I do.

2 comments:

  1. I still miss somebody coming in the front door saying, "I'm home, Mom." I really miss the "Bye, Mom," and then the door slamming behind. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!! Wish I could have that big juicy apple that Ellie has her hand on!!

    ReplyDelete