Monday, March 31, 2014

Never, Never, Never Give Up

I just finished a beautiful book called All But My Life. It is a true story written by a survivor of the Holocaust, Gerda Weissman Klein. She tells of her life, her memories of the German occupation of her native Poland and the three years, three months she spent enduring labor camps and a death march through the winter roads of Czechoslovakia (http://www.amazon.com/All-But-My-Life-Memoir/dp/0809015803). She lost everyone she knew. Every single person. Her entire family, her friends, her lovely little Polish town. If you were living, you were killed. And somehow, through the grace of God and cosmic serendipity, she came out of it alive. 68 pounds, but alive. It is the most authentic, wonderful, meaningful story of relentless hope, dogged love and humble courage I have ever encountered.

I began this book on a friend's recommendation. "Miss Gail," lost her son in January. Clay's accidental death has stolen the breath from his parents and the brother he left behind. As a young man, Clay's life was just getting its footing. He was a gift, a soul, a good person who deserved to be laughing and living and hoping and planning and struggling to become the Clay he wanted to be. He was full of desires and questions, dreams and doubts. But death is so final. It is the ultimate Period. All of that is over, in a breath. In a few short seconds, that boy is no longer on earth and the hole he leaves is immense and very painful. Miss Gail knows Mrs. Klein and so read her story of hope and perseverance. Years of heartache, unfair treatment, inhumane behaviors and complete darkness would have done anybody in. And yet, Mrs. Klein holds on, in the face of Death itself, to the belief that we are good, that life is worth living and that love prevails. And it did. Unbelievable. 

In this coming week, Clay's family will face three difficult days. The two brothers share a birthday, April 4th. Miss Gail's birthday is the next day, April 5th. And years ago, while in nursing school, Miss Gail lost her youngest brother, John, in a car accident. On April 6th. Please, if you are reading this, pray, pray, pray for them. Pray very hard and lift them to heaven. Let them find some peace and happiness and strength. God can give it to them. Please ask Him to.

I don't know if Miss Gail found solace or strength in Mrs. Klein's story, but I know I did. It was difficult to read, but it haunted me until I finished it. I wanted to know she turned out ok. I wanted to see and know the happy ending. I needed the assurance that after this agonizing pain and unbearable suffering, she laughed again. And she did. And she continues to. 

I believe that somewhere beyond our wildest imaginations and dreams, Clay is not over and in fact, he is just beginning. He is like my backyard dogwoods. Just when you think the woods have gone to sleep forever, those little relentless trees remind you that life is here. And worth celebrating. 

Never, never, never give up.  Winston Churchill




1 comment:

  1. Katie, what a sweetheart you are.. Ed told me you called. I wanted to add to your blog... Gerda called me a couple of weeks after our Clay's death. She offered me word of encouragement which I have held onto. One, was that "life is full of tragedy". I thought of this for hours and the hours turned into several hours. I have added to her "life is full of tragedy" into.. what Gerda taught me "life is full of tragedy and what we learn and make of that tragedy defines who we are." Not to be negative, quite the opposite, what do we do with the consequence of tragedy in the end, for the most part, how do we live out our lives after tragedy? Gerda also said (now remember this woman lost everyone she knew as her family- think of it-- a teeneager- loosing everyone you knew) "do not let grief consume you". This lady( and I mean it with utmost respect), reached out to me, a woman who lost her son, to console me. I can never exemplify to another human being what she showed me. Being a follower of Christ, I know Clay is in the Lord's hands and experiencing a wondrous joy. I also know while I am grieving for him, I must put one foot in front of the other and continue to do what I believe I am called to do, the Lord's work. I know God's plan is perfect, while I may not understand it, and I will strive to do my part to make a difference in someone's life. Love you Katie

    ReplyDelete